Thursday, April 17, 2014

Darkwing Duck

This is a show that I remember watching when I was a kid, and it was on an afternoon block called The Disney Afternoon. I would watch this show in the afternoons after coming home from school in the 90's. I had several fond memories of this show as a kid. It wasn't until 2010 that I watched this show again after buying the first volume at Best Buy. I first watched this show as a kid. This time, I watched it as an adult.

The show is still great, and it has aged very well. In fact, this shows just how good Disney can be. The story is about a character named Drake Mallard, the alter ego of Darkwing Duck--or vice versa-- who deals with the struggles of being a Superhero all while raising a daughter.

Launchpad McQuack returns as Darkwing Duck's sidekick, or DW as he calls him. Launchpad is as fun to watch as he was in Ducktales, and he makes for a great sidekick.

The thing I like about Darkwing Duck is that the character himself, while well-meaning, comes off as selfish and obsessed with the fame that comes with being a Superhero. I like that about him because, while negative qualities by itself, makes him stand out from what the typical hero should be. He even is jealous of Gizmoduck because he always gets overshadowed in fame and attention whenever he's around. But despite his flaws, he still does the right thing at the end of the day, and that's what matters most of all. One of the things that I love about Darkwing is how entertaining he is. He does a great job of entertaining the viewers through his antics such as narrating his appearance by saying stuff like "I am the terror that flaps in the night," among other creative things that give the character a nice identity.

The voice cast is one of my favorite things about this show. The cast is absolutely superb, featuring such names like Jim Cummings (Darkwing Duck, Negaduck) Rob Paulsen (Steelbeak) and Dan Castellaneta (Megavolt).

There's only one negative thing I can say about this set: it's not finished. I believe that some of the show has not been released on DVD/Blu Ray, which is a real shame as this show is fun and deserves to be finished. It does baffle me as to why they don't have the entire show to purchase.

It is a bit of a downer, but that doesn't change how I overall feel about the show. That doesn't change the fact that this show was, and still is great--not just for people like me that want to relive a show from yesteryear, but also for people that can be exposed to a show like this. Darkwing Duck is an entertaining show featuring great animation, a superb voice cast that helps bring the show to life, a catchy theme and end song, and a DVD that looks great and is an absolute treat to own. Darkwing Duck, Volume 1 Darkwing Duck, Volume 2

No comments:

Post a Comment