Saturday, April 19, 2014

Son of The Mask, The Mask

This is a movie that I haven't seen much of this movie, and I don't want to. However, I have seen a lot of clips in the Nostalgia Critic's review of the movie (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic) to the point where I feel that I've seen the movie, and let me tell you something: this movie looks absolutely horrible. I use what I saw as proof of such, but I also use the IMDB page for the movie (Son of the Mask) and the wikipedia page for the movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_the_Mask) as proof that this movie is indeed as bad as I say it is.

That's all the proof you need, but I'm sure there's more out there. More proof that the people that made this movie had no idea what they were doing. I have no idea how they, or anyone for that matter, could mess something up this badly. They didn't capture what made the first one so good.

What made the first one so good was the fact that it was an entertaining movie. The special effects were amazing at the time, and they still hold up very well to this day. There was also the fact that the Mask itself grants the user with reality-bending powers and the ability to be impervious to physical pain. The Mask originally removes any social inhibitions from the user, therefore making them more dangerous and insane. But in the film, the mask is only made as dangerous as the person it's attached to.

Stanley Ipkiss, played by the very talented Jim Carrey), is one of the nicest guys around. He's a shy guy who seems to get tormented by nearly everyone. He's a good guy, yet nearly everyone wants to screw him over. Go figure. Later on in the movie, Stanley finds a wooden mask and places it on his face. This is when the movie gets better. Why? Because if you're like me, and you like Stanley, then you're going to enjoy what happens next. He goes out in the night and gets revenge on those that had wronged him, more specifically the auto-mechanics that ripped him off and his grumpy landlady.

It's a marvel to witness the special effects that they were able to do. The Mask, while watching Tina's performance at the Coco Bongo, gets aroused and howls like a werewolf--which, I believe, is an homage to a famous Tex Avery cartoon-- and he's also able to turn a balloon into an active Tommy gun. It's also amazing to see just how different Stanley and The Mask are. It's like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, which I love as I love the way that the two sides of the human nature were explored.

The DVD features a few deleted scenes. One of which explains what happens to the reporter.

This movie, while not a masterpiece, is a really good movie in its own right. It did a lot of things that I enjoyed, and it had great performances, mainly from Jim Carrey and Cameron Diaz. The sequel, while I'm sure it was highly anticipated, was a let-down in every sense of the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment