Monday, April 21, 2014

Old Video Games, Classic Game Collecting

I was at the mall earlier today. I went to this little shop that sells newer and classic used games, the classic section is what I would recommend. I looked over and saw a flat screen TV (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tvs/all-flat-panel-tvs/abcat0101001.c?id=abcat0101001) that just so happened to have Super Mario 64. I felt that I had to play it. As a huge Mario fan, and as a life-long gamer, I felt like I couldn't resist the chance to play it. It's one of the great Mario games, and it's noted for its innovation and his successful jump to 3D.

The guy was nice enough to let me play it, even though I never buy anything--and I never buy anything because I don't have the money to spend on games and consoles like that. They can be quite expensive, so it'll have to wait until some other time. I played the game and the memories came rushing back to me. It was as fun as I remember it being. However, it was also something that I didn't remember it being: really hard. I don't know if it was my lack of familiarity with the Nintendo 64 controller and me being rusty, or if it was the game itself. But what I do know is that I struggled to beat the level. I ended up beating the level, but not without losing a life or two...or three.

One thing I love about the game is how innovative it is. You have a hub world, which is the castle that belongs to Princess Peach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Toadstool), which I think is absolutely amazing, and the music that accompanies it is equally as amazing. What's even better is the way you enter the levels. You enter them...by jumping inside of a painting. Unheard of, but it's really cool the way they did it. I'm still in awe as to how beautiful everything looked. The hub world, and the paintings themselves, are still as cool to me as they were back then. Everything about this game worked, and that's what makes this one of the best games of all-time--definitely one of the best games I ever played.

This shop has so many cool video games to purchase: Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros., Super Mario 3, Super Mario 2, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario 64, Batman Returns, Super Street Fighter 2, Super Mario Kart 64, Super Mario RPG, Street Fighter 2, Final Fantasy 7, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, Donkey Kong Land (all three of them), Donkey Kong Country 3, Pokemon Ruby, Pokemon Emerald, Pokemon Stadium, and the list goes on. They even have a Pokemon themed Nintendo 64, which I think is really cool. The games themselves are reasonably priced...I guess, and it does bring me to my next point: classic game collecting can be both tough and expensive. That's why I am not starting one at this point in time. The prices can be pretty bad. However, I will start one in the future. My collection, however, will be shorter because I will only be getting the games that I want. They will be either games that I had back then and that I miss playing. Or they will be games that I never owned as a kid but always wanted, such as Batman Returns and Animanics, for the SNES.

Collecting classic games can get really tough on the wallet, and it can also be time consuming. And while I don't do it myself, I do respect those that do. I respect those that do because they're passionate about video games, and they love collecting. I appreciate that fact to an immense degree. Why? Because I do love what I love and love what I do. I write articles for Squidoo. I write blogs on a regular basis. And I also do videos for my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Gambit190.

In closing: I have such a love for video games. They're fun for me. It's a love that was with me when I was a little kid, and it still remains with me to this day. I'll always be a gamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment