Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pixar Films

I first discovered Pixar when I was a little boy. My brother and I got a VCR for Christmas of '96, and along with that we got four VHS tapes, one of which was Toy Story. I remember the build-up to this like it was yesterday. I was in a grocery store and I saw the display for the movie. Several upon several movies were stacked up with a cardboard display near it. I was in awe at the detail of the box. Needless to say it captured my attention and did a good job of making me want to buy it.

I watched the movie and I absolutely loved it. Never before had I seen a movie like that--the CGI blew my mind at the time, and it stills holds up exceptionally well to this very day. The movie had a great cast featuring Tom Hanks as Woody, Tim Allen as Buzz Lightyear, John Ratzenberger as Ham, and Jim Varney as Slinky. The story was great, and I loved that they gave that they made these toys feel real. They gave the toys movement and brought their world to our eyes. These toys were capable of real-life emotions such as jealousy, self-doubt, and anger. These toys were also capable of things such as friendship, which I thought was a really nice touch.

The Toy Story trilogy remains one of my all-time favorites. The fact that Andy was a little boy when I watched it made me feel more connected to it. After all, I was a little boy that loved to collect and play with action figures as well. Toy Story 3 was, and still is, a masterpiece in my eyes. The movie was about change, about a fitting end to the saga. Andy was grown-up in this movie and he was about to go to college. Watching this as an adult made me truly appreciate this trilogy, especially part 1 and 3. The movie left me satisfied.

The Incredibles was another one that I loved. They take the superhero genre and they make it their own. The movie is about superheroes who are forced to retire. Mr. Incredible saves a guy that was trying to commit suicide and didn't want to be saved. Bob Parr (Mr. Incredible) now works for an insurance company, which he doesn't like. All he wants to do is help people. He can't let go of the glory days, and even has a wall of all his photos and accomplishments. His need to help people has him and his friend, Frozone, go out to fight crime...in ski-masks.

This movie provides different attitudes and outlooks on life. Helen Parr (Elastigirl) has moved on from her live as a superhero and now excels as her role of a mother. Their son, Dash, has the ability of super speed. Dash wants to try out for sports, but his mom forbids it due to him possibly making other people inferior and also blowing their cover.

I love that this movie did so much with the genre. It does everything in a nice, entertaining way that makes you think. Toy Story 1-3 Box Set [Blu-ray] The Incredibles (Four-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)

No comments:

Post a Comment