Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Konami

I remember being a fan of Konami (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konami) when I was a kid. I loved their games for how diverse and fun they were. I remember playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time, Animaniacs, Batman Returns, and The Adventures of Batman and Robin, all three of which are on the Super Nintendo.

Some of the games that I played, while not masterpieces, were creative in the way that they played. Animaniacs had you playing as all three main characters. They're all on the same screen together, which I think is cool. You're also able to use the X button to use the available Warners to stack up to reach higher areas. I think this is a really cool feature, and it's very useful.

Batman Returns was a really fun Beam 'Em Up, and it's also one of my favorite games in that genre. The game features great music, great graphics, and a nice level or two in which you control the Batmobile in a first person shooting level. The thing I love about this game is that is took the genre of choice and did a great job with it. It was a blast to play.

The Adventures of Batman and Robin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Osa5eIxfTg) is one of my favorite Batman games, and rightfully so. This game makes you feel like you're playing the cartoon--from the graphics that look amazing, to the screens before each and every level, to the levels themselves that are loosely based on the episode in question. It's one of the early games that has you feel like The Dark Knight with his impressive array of gadgets at your disposal. The boss fights themselves are fun and creative. You fight The Joker on top of a moving roller coaster, The Scarecrow on top of his little plane, The Riddler in a virtual reality world, and Catwoman while you and her are falling from a building. Great game all-around.

Metal Gear Solid was the first, and only, entry that I played in the Metal Gear series. You play as Solid Snake, and it's up to you to save the day. This game had good graphics that were impressive back in the day. The music was spectacular. The atmosphere was done to perfection by Konami. One of my favorite things about this game is the Codec, which is an intercom system (that I believe is attached to his ear) that has Snake communicate with his allies. I love the way that the screens were animated.

Last but not least, Turtles In Time (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHBSfFJTipA) is one of my favorite games of all-time. I love this game! And what makes this game even better is that it looks great and it shows how powerful the system was in terms of graphics. You're able to play as your favorite turtle and you fight your way through several fun levels. You fight a slew of enemies such as the foot soldiers, the rock soldiers, the mousers, Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady, Shredder, etc. The game even adds several new things such as an added level--The Technodrome-- and different bosses. It gives the SNES version familiarity while giving us something different. And last but not least, you fight Super Shredder as the final boss.

Konami is still around, and I for one am glad that they are. They do a great job.

No comments:

Post a Comment